I've been busy. The semester ends in two weeks and there is not nearly enough time to get everything done. But I was invited to some awards banquet this Friday so I think I'm getting some kind of high praise from someone at this college. Anyway, moving on.

The latest version of Ubuntu -- Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS -- came out the end of August. My laptop, until recently, was running the previous version, Karmic Koala 9.10. One day, I got bored and decided to upgrade. I was expecting some serious problems booting afterwards since my / partition, excluding /boot, is an encrypted LUKS LVM. To my surprise, there were no problems booting, but I did run into a few problems during the upgrade process. A few packages trying to upgrade broke the upgrade process and trying to sudo apt-get remove would not work. After browsing a Launchpad bug detailing the same problem, I found out that sudo dpkg -r would remove the package and I could continue the upgrade process.

After getting my laptop upgraded, I ran into a few more problems that were easily fixed. My mouse settings were a little different, the sound control icon in the indicator applet wouldn't show up, and all of the minimize/maximize/close icons were now on the left side of the titlebar(?).

I fixed the mouse settings as soon as I discovered that the xserver-xorg-synaptic package wasn't install. After apt-getting it again and rebooting, my mouse setting were back to the way they were before upgrading. The missing sound icon was a problem with the old PulseAudio settings. Removing (rm -rf ~/.pulse) and a reboot fixed the missing sound icon. I assume I could have easily just restarted the PulseAudio service (sudo /etc/init.d/pulseaudio restart) without having to reboot my entire machine.

Now, the reversed minimize/maximize/close icons took a rather long time to figure out how to fix, but it's pretty simple to fix. In this new version of Ubuntu, the theme packages themselves have the mentioned icons reversed. All I did was grabbed the version of gnome-themes-ubuntu used in 9.10 (which is version 0.5.1) and forced that version in Synaptic. After doing all this, one big reboot will result in everything fixed.

I should note that I've been hearing about some kind of Flash problem that a lot of people have been having. Fortunately and unfortunately, I haven't experienced this problem so I can't really say much on it.

After doing all this, I started working on using my 'server' as an irssi proxy. When at college, the network here has IRC blocked because it's a "vector for viruses" as the network guys say. This is a small problem for me, since I'm active in several IRC channels on Freenode. I've been using SSH+screen+irssi for the last several months, but I don't get any beeps when my name is said (I cannot get terminal beeping to work at ALL) in channel or when someone /msgs me.

Since I'm rather tired at the moment, I'm not going to document the commands I used and the entire process. I'm going to describe it. You've got my server back at my apartment running irssi in a screen session. I set that up as a proxy and forward a certain port to act as a proxy for a specific network. In this case, Freenode. Then, I can set up a SSH tunnel from my laptop connected to the wireless at campus to my server back at my apartment. When I fire up irssi and tell it to use the proxy settings I've given it (which is localhost since I'm using an SSH tunnel), irssi resolves irc.freenode.net to 127.0.0.1, and connects to Freenode over the connection on my server via the SSH tunnel I set up pointing towards my desktop. To top it off, I have working nick beeps doing it this way. Success!

Beyond this, I've just been tinkering with a few desktops I grabbed from ECO-Fest, fixing a plethora of laptop cords, and job hunting. Again, if you're an employer in Batavia, NY or nearby and you're reading this, I really need a job. I'm a good employee, I swear.